A patient is rushed to the hospital unconscious. The doctor notes that the lips, extremities, and nail beds of this patient have turned blue. The patients friend tells the doctor that he thinks it is carbon monoxide poisoning. Why should the doctor be skeptical of this diagnosis?

0 votes
    The doctor should be skeptical because the blue color in the nail beds and lips means that the person has either lost a large amount of blood, or blood is just not reaching these areas of the body.
    The doctor should be skeptical because carbon monoxide would cause harm to humans only if it were at extremely high concentrations in the air we breathe.
    The doctor should be skeptical because carbon monoxide breaks apart into carbon and oxygen. The oxygen can then bind to the hemoglobin in the red blood cells.
    The doctor should be skeptical because when carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin, it produces the bright red color seen when oxygen binds to this molecule.

asked May 30, 2013 in Biology by anonymous
    

1 Answer

0 votes
The doctor should be skeptical because when carbon monoxide binds to hemoglobin, it produces the bright red color seen when oxygen binds to this molecule.
answered May 31, 2013 by Bioshare ~Top Expert~ (34,070 points)

Related questions




...